Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pus 15 (Gurung New Years)






Nepal doesn't use the Western calendar.  There are still 12 months in a year, just offset by 14 or 15 days, and the year starts in mid April.  Many ethnic groups, however, start the year on other days.  For Gurungs, the New Year starts on Pus 15 (December 30th this year).  My village hosted quite a party.
A few days beforehand there was a clean-up day at the cemetery.


The next day everyone gathered to present food offerings to their deceased ancestors.  Apparently dead people particularly like cigarettes, alcohol, fruit, and fried snacks.



Then we got to eat the leftovers.

I jokingly refer to the day as "going to feed dead people," but I think it was my favorite holiday here so far.  It’s nice that people set aside at least one day each year to get together and think of those that have gone before them.

The next day the real celebration began.  Gurungs from all over the area came dressed in traditional clothing.  First we ate lots of food (the most important part of any celebration…)

And then there was singing and dancing (especially by those who had a bit too much to drink beforehand)

Sacred threads (a component of Hinduism that I don't know much about) were handed out and speeches made.

And then the real dancing began.  My villagers practiced this one for weeks beforehand.

I'm not sure what happened after that… My feet were frozen so I snuck home and went to bed.

1 comment:

  1. I have friends in Thailand right now and they got to experience Thai New Year. It apparently involves soaking people with water.

    ReplyDelete