Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The real training begins

After a three hour drive (only 40 miles) on beautiful windy mountain roads, we arrived at our real training site and met our new families.  I live in a small village called Banjuket and have a mom, dad, and little brother and sister (actually my parents grandchildren).  We go to language class from 7-9am and again from 11-2 and then have another lesson usually from 2:30-4:30.  I still have no clue what my family is saying to me most of the time, but every day I make a little more progress and we get along pretty well.  Luckily my brother and sister both speak fairly good english.

It is incredibly beautiful here.  If only a picture could show what my eyes actually see...


My house is the first one across from the big unfinished building
My house.  It's actually 4 stories.
 my aamaa (mom) eating breakfast in the kitchen.  We eat on the floor with our hands.  The cook in Nepali culture eats last, after everyone else has been served all they want.
My baa (dad), cooking meat-- a special occasion for as part of jaal-a woman's festival.  Normally we cook over a gas stove, but we were out of gas for a few days, so cooked over a fire.
 

7 comments:

  1. Wow so cool. Looks beautiful. Glad you are liking your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful country side. what is the official language of nepal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so beautiful, I am glad you are doing well. We were thinking that the cook in Nepal has real incentive to make a so-so meal so they are left with more food. Oh, and Jane took two steps yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating! Reminds me of Guatemala - the landscape, cement, and cooking on gas/fire inside. Your aamaa and baa look like fun folks. Beautiful green mountain terracing. Super jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  5. THESE PICTURES ARE AMAZING.
    I would also like to add that I never read other peoples blogs. And not only did I read yours, I also loved it. This is such an amazing adventure. You are so brave! This would scare me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this village much better than the city. Absolutely beautiful! Take lots of cooking lessons so you can cook us something yummy when you come home.

    ReplyDelete