Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Welcome to the Far West


The Far Westen region of Nepal is most often described as being "less developed." I thought that description was super vague and unhelpful until I moved there. Less developed is exactly what it is. There are fewer roads, lower population density, more homes and villages with no access to electricity, fewer cement buildings, fewer private schools and colleges, you see less western style clothing, have access to fewer luxury goods, and the people hold stronger to traditional beliefs. Aside from that, the Far West is very much like every other part of  Nepal I have ever experienced. I suppose when you get down to it, Nepal is Nepal no matter where you go.

The biggest town in my area, Gaira.




I get to enjoy the most amazing sunrises every morning right outside my bedroom door.

I don't know what it is about nurseries that make me so happy, but after stumbling upon this one one day, I fell in love with my community all over again.

Work

A typical training given by my counterpart

Learning how to build improved cook stoves

Getting to meetings isn't always so easy. Many villages are not connected to a road and footpaths aren't always as clearly marked as you would expect. It makes for some fun adventures, as long as you don't mind getting lost in the wilderness too much. 


Potato test plots


Holi: festival of colors



Creative fundraising - this woman's group danced around in the middle of the highway until vehicles trying to get through made a donation. 



3 comments:

  1. I'm an RPCV trying to help find my friend's father...Idk if you guys have been consolidated or have any contact w/ others who may be in contact with the embassy, but I figured this was worth a shot.

    my friend's contact info, as well as info about his dad's last know location, is below. Thanks and I hope all is well

    --------------------
    CONTACT: brooksemanuel@gmail.com
    --------------------
    We are trying to find my father, Martin (Marty) Emanuel, who was trekking in Langtang National Park in Nepal when the earthquake struck.
    He is a U.S. citizen and is 71 years old.
    He was trekking with a guide named Dilli Bahadur Magar (dillithapa@hotmail.com).
    On Thursday, they drove from Dilli's home in Khatmandu to Syabru Bensi (or Suyaburbensi?).
    He emailed us Thursday night that:
    On Friday morning, they were setting out from Syabru Bensi / Suyaburbensi at 6 am to trek to Lama Hotel.
    ***On Saturday, they were scheduled to trek from Lama Hotel to Ghoratabela.***
    As of 8:30 pm (EST) on Saturday (late Saturday night in Nepal), we have not heard anything from him or his guide.
    Please let us know what we can do to help find him.
    Contact info:
    Martin Emanuel:
    • Mobile phone, which has a Nepal SIM card: (404) 210-3146
    • Email: oostamera@gmail.com, martinemanuel@comcast.net
    Dilli Bahadur Magar (Guide)
    • Email: dillithapa@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kerry,

    I just interviewed for Nepal 2017. I would love to hear more about your experience. My email is lizprinkey2012@gmail.com.

    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kerry,

    I just interviewed for Nepal 2017. I would love to hear more about your experience. My email is lizprinkey2012@gmail.com.

    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete