Monday, August 19, 2013

Rice Feeding Ceremony

In the Gurung culture, babies have a special ceremony the first time they eat rice.  For girls it's at 4 months old, for boys it's 5 months.  My niece just turned four months old.  The ceremony involves placing a tika on the infant and then feeding her a little rice.  There was some chicken there too, but no one actually tried to feed her that.



My niece was remarkably well behaved, for the most part.  I guess an infant can only handle people stikking rice on their foreheads and shoving food in their mouths for so long.

This is also the time when a little girl starts wearing bracelets.  They were so small!  Good thing baby hands are flexible-- my experience with putting on similar bracelets (adult sized) was excruciatingly painful.

Honestly, I was really not excited about this ceremony.  Babies should be exclusively breastfeed for six full months.  My sister-in-law knew this, but it's hard to abandon deeply rooted traditions just because you know better.  I am very happy to say though that my sister-in-law kept the ceremony simply symbolic-- she is still breastfeeding exclusively.

No comments:

Post a Comment