Sunday, October 7, 2012

Week 4: "My" Rice Mill

When I first came to Nepal and began hearing about how it would be to live with a host family, I thought it would be really weird to call perfect strangers mom and dad, brother and sister, but it turns out it feels perfectly natural.  I've even taken to calling their things mine, like "my" new house that the family is building (I'm fascinated by this building-- you'll probably see pictures of it later), "my" goats, and "my" rice mill that my father owns.  Until last Saturday I didn't have a clue what actually happened at "my" mill, but I finally got a chance to hang out there and see what really goes on.

Three different processes take place at the mill: dehusking the rice, making rice flour, and making beaten rice.  The day I was there they were mainly making the beaten rice.  First, people bring their rice here where it is roasted.  Someone is constantly throwing rice chaff into a fire under some clay basins and a blade is constantly mixing the rice.

Next, the roasted rice is put in this machine, where it is smashed into thin flakes, the chaff falling off in the process.  That's it.  The beaten rice is then put into bags and taken home.

This machine makes the rice flour.

I never actually saw this machine being used, but my family seems more proud of it than any of the others.  I assume its where the rice is dehusked.

And that's my mill.  Not exactly what I expected when I first heard about it, but it gets the work done.  I'm very proud of it.

2 comments:

  1. You just remember who your favorite cousin is back home. Hahaha. I'm so glad the transition is a little easier than you thought it would be. Cliff and I are on a tiny adventure of our own. We have taken in a teenager from church who was in need of a stable home. We are trying to make her feel comfortable but I certainly don't expect her to call me mom. Lol do you eat a lot of "your" rice? What do you do for church? Just your own scripture study? Do you get the Ensign at "your" home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your efforts to organize words is appreciable.Yes ! it is improved mill. If you try to see its history , you can find many indigenous mills that still are in operation in some parts of Nepal.

    Try to post more others your observations from the community.

    Regards

    Dadhi

    ReplyDelete